Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Measuring Progress



There are all sorts of ways to measure progress. In fact, figuring out the best way is one of the basic ways I help people, organizations, and businesses in my professional life.

But in my personal life, this is how we're measuring progress these days:

1. How much further we have to grow before we can reach the counter top

2. How big our wrist has grown today compared to yesterday

3. The height of a cabinet...


and lastly, some flexibility progress for you:

Today at the gym, before my yoga class I had to use the restroom. One of the first things I do upon entering the restroom is to check the toilet paper situation:

a. to make sure there is some

b. to make sure that it isn't a new roll (because there are few things more frustrating--and inconvenient-- than trying to find the start of the first square of cheap toilet paper)

Before I started taking yoga, I had to bend my knees to look up into the holder. BUT TODAY I could actually bend from my hips (without bending my knees) to look up into the holder!

::

I came across this little strategy if you're interested in some "progress psychology"

::

Thursday's Splurge-day:

A piece of lemon pound cake that wasn't nearly as good as good friend Melissa's, but it was good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great reason to be flexible!

I think I heard that when we bend, we should always squat, rather than bending at the waist, helping prevent back problems later in life. Is this true?

RunLikeMama said...

That is a very good question and one that you probably don't want me to answer...I'll ask my mom who is probably the most in-the-know person I know about that kind of stuff...

I will say that (I think?) back problems are largely associated with the strength of your core (aka abdomen) so I always try to keep mine tight when bending or running or doing most everything (note: I try to do that, but don't always remember)

Marina said...

I've heard that, but I think it maybe more relates to back problems if you are lifting something as you bend. I quickly looked it up online and here's what I found:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article2619.html

http://www.backcarebootcamp.com/content/30/4_ready_set_lift_skills.html

I'm interested to hear what your mom says, Maureen...

RunLikeMama said...

Marina--you're right. Bending from the hips is great when you're just stretching...but if you're picking something up, you should definitely squat and lift with your legs...