Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I can't think of a good title!

It's January 8th and I ran in shorts this morning! We almost left Ava's coat at the library! I just looked at the thermometer and it reads 66 degrees at 1pm! I love the different seasons, but this little bit of springtime in wintertime has definitely added a little bounce in everyone's step around here.

::

I had an experience at the library this morning that was reminiscent of high school. Ava and I went to a "sing-along with Jessica" for 1-3 year olds that required parent participation. Well-rehearsed in our "popular kids songs", Ava and I lined up with the rest of the 3-plus dozen moms, dads, and tots to clap our hands and stomp our feet.

Only some parents refused to participate. Three moms in particular sat cross-legged, chatting on the floor despite Jessica's too-polite request that they all stand up (or at least sing for crying out loud)! They looked at her as though it was the last thing they would ever do and carried on with their conversation--their 3 and 4-year olds in their laps.

It was pretty disrespectful and I could sense Jessica was a little embarrassed at their cruel reaction (clearly visible to all of us) to her kind (and apparently courageous) request...but I hope that the participation from the rest of us "Old MacDonald Had A Farm" enthusiasts made up for it.

If you're attending a parent participation sing-a-long that you had to register for (that is, knew exactly what you were getting yourself and your kids into) don't you think its reasonable to expect that you at least, well, sing-a-long? And maybe not make another adult who is volunteering to entertain your kids for 30 minutes feel like dirt even if you're NOT going to sing-a-long? Especially when most parents are working really hard to demonstrate respect and kindness in hopes that our children will always do the same.

::

Signed and Sealed Splurge:

Last night I wrote two old-fashioned letters to two old friends (old as in how long we've been friends, not in age). It's been a long time since I'd done that and even though my hand did cramp (that would NEVER have been the case 10 years ago) it was a splurge I'll do again very soon. Maybe even tonight.



1 comment:

LobotoME said...

some people can be so lame & rude..luckily there are moms like you out there! :)