Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sugar and Sleep and Everything Sheep

Three things happen when I am tired: I make bad decisions, I break things, and I bruise things.

Certain things in my life remain fairly constant: I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, my head hits the pillow the same time every night (may vary by 20 minutes depending how riveting House Hunters happens to be) and I swing my legs out of bed the same time every morning.

These constants keep me consistent and current.

But on October 30th, I went to bed way too late and woke up way too early. My 7 hours of steady sleep were replaced with four hours of choppy chants (like counting sheep, which didn't work). "Go to Sleep, Russell" (a book about a sheep who can't fall asleep) is Ava's current every-second-gotta-read-it book...and I couldn't get Russell and all the sheep he counted out of my head.

Needless to say, Halloween Wednesday was a very frustrating day. A few highlights:
  • I went the wrong way (twice) to the library that my daughter and I go to every week.
  • I took off one of her shoes to change her diaper (it was an outfit thing--one leg had snaps, the other did not) in our car that was parked in Home Depot and could not for the life of me find it when I was through. I was convinced that if I looked under the car long enough, it would appear. It didn't. At that moment, I became one of the 30 percent of people who believe in ghosts. There was just no other explanation. Pete found it that night in the rear storage area, which still does not discount my ghost theory (by the way).
  • I miscalculated the same corner of a bench that has been in our bedroom for three years five times. And I have one enormous bruise made up of five large bruises to remind me.
  • I continued to eat pumpkin cookies, even though orange was still pumping proud through my veins from the night before. Deciding I should have a little variety, I crammed about three Milky Ways down my throat in just as many minutes. I NEVER eat that bad and I rarely miss my lunch. But I wasn't about to put anything else in my mouth (or my blood) after that yucksugar overload.
  • I was cleaning the shower while taking a shower and lifted the drain lid to clean it. The drain itself is about 1.5 inches in diameter (or exactly the width of the widest part of a Venus razor) and I know that because when I stood up, my elbow hit the shower caddy and jostled the Venus razor (which was resting on top of my shave gel) which proceeded to fall five feet to the ground (there might have been a ricochet, I'm not sure) in a perfect vertical line directly into the bottomless 1.5 inch diameter drain.
And those are just the highlights. And they don't include my behavior.

Bottom line: I don't know how people function on little sleep--but I do know that most don't come close to getting what they need.

Splurge-sation!

Now THIS is a splurge. My friend shared it with me and I have to share it with you. It is so soothing (and pretty!) I told him he could hang me on it.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I survive on very little sleep...and it is a BAD thing! I can see how pumpkin cookies replace lunch..they were YUM!

LobotoME said...

I know how you feel - I need a sugar detox too!
Take care & be careful :)

pete said...

Here's to hoping Maureen always gets a full nights sleep!