Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2007

taste while you waste...

Not that any of us need to waste another minute at the computer, but I've got to share my latest find.

www.tastespotting.com has inspiration for each of the senses. I'd like to think I'll try one of these recipes, but dreaming about them is probably as good as it will get for me.

:: Odds In End

There are many qualities I admire in my husband. But he reminded me of one this morning while at a new coffee shop we're "taste spotting." Pete knows exactly what he's doing while he's doing it. If he is drinking a cup of coffee he is drinking a cup of coffee. He isn't (often) putting dishes away or thinking about what's next on the agenda or what was already skipped over.

Slowing down is a benefit in and of itself. But there are others, too. I realized that Pete knew exactly what he was doing when he was doing it (in this case, drinking coffee) because he commented that the coffee tasted a little bitter. I, on the other hand, not only didn't notice the bitter taste of the coffee, I almost didn't hear Pete say it was bitter.

And so I stopped to think about other things I don't stop to think about. Could I EVER recall a time when coffee tasted bitter? Could I ever recall a time when it didn't? I'm not sure.

I recently wrote about how I pay attention to things...but I think I need to clarify that a little bit in light of my realization this morning. I pay attention to people--which I think is really important. But I'm not sure how often I pay attention to how or when I experience the not-so-obvious things in life, like drinking a cup of coffee. I know exactly what an obviously bright full moon in a big dark sky looks like. I could even describe what it feels like.

And from now on, I'm going to try and know exactly when I am drinking a great cup of coffee. And when I'm not.

Splurge of the weekend:

The one thing I couldn't resist this weekend was the one thing I was actually in search of: a new doormat.

1 comment:

pete said...

That's why I love Seinfeld!!