Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

old words and new ways

The interest and intention is there to read all of the books that I've collected over the past years, months, weeks, even days. But the time is not.

I've been known to spend full days in the bookstore, pouring over each and every shelf in search of the book with all the answers. And while I've figured out that that book doesn't exist (I may just have to write it) I'm a sucker for old words placed on new pages in all different kinds of ways. I approach a new book like I approached the first day of school as a kid: a blank notepad to write down the thoughts the adventure is sure to inspire, freshly sharpened pencils topped with brightly colored erasures, and neat as a pin desktops (or clutter free couches) that protect from mental distractions.

I'm still collecting the books, I'm just not reading them. (Maybe it also has something to do with the thrill of anticipation I wrote about in little treasures).

But I am reading great children's books. And what I'm finding (or maybe remembering) is that it doesn't take big words (or many or any words at all) to feel a shift--in thinking, in doing, in stopping, in starting. In fact, these little books are changing me in big ways.

For example, right now Ava and I can't get enough of "The Gift of Nothing."

It tells the story of Mooch the cat who is desperate to find the perfect gift for his friend, Earl the dog. Of course, the perfect gift for Earl who has everything eludes Mooch. So, Mooch wraps up a great big box full of "nothing" and gives it to Earl. When Earl opens the box, he says to Mooch, "But there is nothing in here." To which Mooch replies, "I know. Nothing but you and me."

Then, there is "The Nose Book." Now, on its face (no pun intended) it's a fun rhyme about noses. Dig a little deeper and it prepares kids for all of the different kinds of noses that "they'll meet"--all shapes, sizes, and colors (maybe helps to develop a little tolerance and sensitivity?) and even encourages them to stretch their imagination and consider what would happen if we had "no nose!" (Just think of it!)

I'm not sure that any of the grown-up books that are waiting in my in-box would have shed light on two practices that I've started doing since my return to children's books (at least as succinctly or efficiently):
  1. To do nothing more often with those who already have everything and especially with those who mean everything.
  2. To wear my glasses more often because I should and because I can, thanks to my nose!
Discovering these children's books and the weight they carry feels kind of like discovering a secret that you want to share with the world--and it's not even cheating! I can't begin to count the blessings that Ava has brought into my life, but I do count getting reacquainted with the children's section of the bookstore among them.
The Splurge of Nothing:

When you're feeling the itch to buy (or are desperate for the perfect gift) instead, pull this off the shelf--to calm, to remind, or to give.

Better yet, when you're feeling the itch to buy (or are desperate for the perfect gift) instead, find someone you love and together, don't do a thing.

3 comments:

LobotoME said...

Hi Maureen! I too have a STACK of unread books by my bed - but that doesn't stop me from buying more!!! :) I hope Sam loves reading as much as I do when she gets older... We love the Gift of Nothing too! Another great one we've been reading w/ Sam is a vintage find...Socks for Supper by Jack Kent...hard to find but worth searching for.

J :)

pete said...

I would have to say my favorite children's book is Goodnight Moon. I have it memorized!

Unknown said...

Unread books that you have stashed away are patiently waiting for that future-time of yours called 'RETIREMENT.' In the several years since a real job I've read Moby Dick, all of Faulkner's novels, a few Dicken's that were cliff noted in college and lots of slice ,em up mysteries. Barnes and N have new issues of Hamlet,Othello, Macbeth with very helpful notes on the left page, text on the right and they are great.