Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

Sorts and Sights

Just in case you were looking for something to do on a Monday afternoon...I've got just the thing.

Pete didn't have to work today in honor of President's Day. So while Ava laid down her sweet head for a nap this afternoon, I hit the computer to work and he hit the pantry to organize.

I know, I know, I know: unusual, incredible, fortunate, blessed, unheard of, lucky, and on and on. I know--and believe me, I try to make sure that I convey "I know" every day (okay, every other day).

I wish I had known what he was up to, because I would've taken a "before" picture, which would've been a little scary (not a lot scary, just a little). I did take an after for you to see.

Here's what he did:

1. Took everything out of the pantry


2. Categorized and inventoried the items and listed every single one according to category (see categories and sample items at link)



3. Discarded things that expired (or that we would just never use)

4. Put them back into the pantry according to category



He said that tonight he's going to make labels so that I always know where things go.

(A sweet gesture on the surface, but what he really means is, "so that this four-hour effort isn't a lost effort by next week).

This kind of endeavor (and trust me, I am NOT complaining) doesn't come without some well-earned capital. And he isn't wasting any time spending it. Some of the comments that I've already heard (a mere one hour since he finished):

  • You aren't to buy one more tea until the box of 60 is whittled down to four.
  • Are you just curious to see how many different bottles of vinegar you can find and fit into a cupboard or do you really think you'll use them?
It's okay though, I'll take it. Having a fresh, clean, and organized pantry feels a little like having a brand new wardrobe (funny how your expectations and simple pleasures change over the years). With all of my "goods" categorized, dinner planning and preparation will be much more efficient--and economical!

I told him I was going to add his skills as a new "service" under my business. So, any takers?

::

Some pictures of the little one...who needs no organization, whatsoever:



Brownie-splurge:

Among the newfound items was a box of Betty Crocker's brownie mix. The chewy kind. Since it expires this month, I figured I'd better get busy!

2 comments:

LobotoME said...

yes, sign me up!! come visit!

J :)

Anonymous said...

HaHa, LOL! My husband says the same thing to me. I am always at the store and think, "We are out of ketchup." He says, "are you sure?" only to get home and find 3 bottles in the pantry :) Pete can stop by any time to organize mine!
-Erin