Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

how it's going


Christmas Carols have been playing throughout our house for two weeks now, almost non-stop. In fact, Ava noticed this morning when they weren't on, requesting: "My dreams, mommy? Red-nose?" Translation: I'll Be Home For Christmas (if only in my dreams) and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer...can we listen to them, please?

Mistletoes and bright red bows are shaping up around here, though sloppily. We're out a kitchen table right now, waiting for a new one to arrive--which leaves me without some critical "pile" space. I'm on pace to tidy up shopping and cards by Thursday (tomorrow!) so that on Saturday we can focus on having some "little friends" over to make ornaments and the following week to bake cookies!

On my list of things to take care of in and out of those events:
  • Visit the local Red Cross for a blood donation
  • Drop off some toys and clothes to the Salvation Army
  • Hang some garland up the stairwell
  • Wrap presents!
  • Finish my knitting project
  • Print out some of these to color with Ava
  • Pick up some fabric for my sew-off with friend Jenny
  • Mail packages to far away friends and family
  • Wander around the quaint shops of Fells Point with husband and daughter
  • Walk around magical 34th Street of Baltimore
::

It's easy to feel overwhelmed and frantic in the days leading up to Christmas, "I haven't gotten enough" or, "I forgot to pick up something for...." But in those moments, try and resist the urge to react and instead, sit quietly and remember one thing or one person--past or present--that made this time of year so special for you. The frantic feeling will pass and the space in your mind and your heart will make room for other things special to come.
Splurge-away

We were talking about Christmas traditions with our favorite coffee shop friends, Howard and Monica. Monica asks her mom to make her Chex Mix every year for herChristmas present. It reminded me of how much I love my mom's Chex Mix (I can never get it quite right)--and so mom, if you're reading, that's what I'd like for Christmas, too.

4 comments:

LobotoME said...

love these great ideas you are incorporating into your holiday season!

xo, J :)

Anonymous said...

Maureen I have my list to of what needs to get done before Christmas. Mom is on her way from VA as we speak (dashing through the PA snow via I81). We are going to bake cookies, wrap presents, pick out and decorate our tree, and listen to Christmas music. I just bought Josh Groban's Noel CD so have some "new" music to listen to this year. Enjoy your plans!! Kristin

pete said...

Bunny,

Good way of testing if your mom is reading this blog.
"so mom, if you're reading, that's what I'd like for Christmas, too."

we'll see...

RunLikeMama said...

Kristin--sounds like fun! I always love thinking of all the neat things you and your mom are sure to be engaged in during the holiday season! I still drool over that fudge you made for me years ago!