Pages

Friday, December 21, 2007

Favorite Things



Click on play to hear a sweet little "Merry Christmas" from a little sweet.

::

I might never have realized it unless I started to think about some of my favorite things at Christmas time, which then led me to think about some of Pete's favorite things, and, of course, Ava's.

What I realized was that many of the gifts that we selected for our family all had something in common: they were associated (directly or indirectly) with all of our favorite things. I know, it seems like that should be obvious. But I'm not sure that it often is.

I'm glad I made the realization, though, because it reinforced that (hopefully) most of what we do is somehow connected to people or passions that are important to us. It just took a little quiet time to recognize it.

So, in a few short lists, here are some of our favorite things. I hope it doesn't give anything away....

Ava's Favorite Things

1. Birds ("Tweet tweet")
2. Paper ("Draw picture?")
3. Crocs ("'em on?, as in, "Put them on?")
4. Walnuts (almonds, really, but she calls them walnuts)
5. Pictures (she'll look at pictures all day long)

Pete's Favorite Things (about Christmas)

1. Christmas Cookies
2. Nat King Cole
3. Bing Crosby
4. Emett Otter's Jugband Christmas
5. Christmas Trees

Maureen's Favorite Things (about Christmas)

1. Being with family
2. Christmas carols and hymns
3. The Yule Log
4. Lights on trees and in windows
5. Around-the-clock Christmas music on the radio
6. Mistletoe
7. Candles that smell like pine trees
8. Watching Ava watch the lights
9. Hearing Ava say, "Rudolph"
10. Hearing her say (when I ask her why we give gifts at Christmas) "Baby Jesus Born"
11. Pete singing "I'm Dreaming (of a White Christmas) and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

Two-days Til Christmas Splurge:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen,

Loved Ava's Christmas message to us all!! Here's my list of favorite things at Christmas:

1. Baking in the kitchen with Mom (and the smell of all our goodies as they bake)
2. Martina McBride and Josh Groban's Christmas CDs
3. Writing letters in my Christmas cards.
4. Decorating the tree.
5. Shopping for and watching people open the gifts I gave them (there is nothing I like more then giving at Christmas).
6. Christmas Eve church service (I know all the songs)
7. Christmas traditions
8. Spending time with family and friends
9. Buying gifts for the less fortunate

Thank you for sharing your, Ava's, and Pete's favorite things about Christmas. Kristin

RunLikeMama said...

Kristin--
Whenever I think of Christmas, I always think of you and all of your wonderful traditions with friends and family. I love your list of favorite things and getting your letters in the mail is always a gift!

Maureen