Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Words, Words, Words

I pay attention to words like guys pay attention to...cars.

There are some that trip my gag reflex like a raw egg. Among them:

Blog. Like most of the words that gag me, it's the way they sound rather than what they mean. Blog just sounds so clunky. Take the "g" away and you have blah.

Kiosk. This isn't an often-spoken word among the general population, I don't think. I mean, how often do you need to mention a kiosk? The thing is, when it does come up, it does so with way too much ease. I can't decide if I don't like it because, again, of the way it sounds or because we sound so comfortable using such an uncomfortable word. "Oh, where did you get your 'I'm with stupid' shirt?'" "At the kiosk in front of Bubble Tea."

Waines Coating. My sister brought this one to my attention and fortunately, it's not one that comes up in conversation often. Okay, ever. I'm not even completely sure what Waines Coating is, but I am completely sure that nothing should be called Waines Coating.

Pustule. Here's a word that grosses me out because of how it sounds AND what it implies. Give me pimple any day.

Your turn. What words give you hives?

No comments: