Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

Music Theory


My husband has a theory and two solutions for the occasion when a song gets stuck in your head (see October 16 post, "Motion").

His theory on how it got stuck: You didn't hear the song all the way through. Maybe you arrived at your destination before it ended, maybe you got distracted, maybe you turned the station or advanced the disc or the playlist. Regardless, it was stopped short. And in its haunting and "rhythm is gonna get you" way it's stuck like the old days of a needle on a record.

His solution for un-sticking it: Listen to it all the way through--and if that isn't possible, sing "Horse with no name". It works every time. You should try it out, because chances are, "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" is stuck in your head now, like it is mine.

So, got any theories of your own?

Splurge of the day:

1. Oatmeal is boring by itself, but add some granola, dried cranberries, walnuts and a little brown sugar, it's like dessert. Well, sort of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The method works and I have been spreading the news.

Anonymous said...

I love Pete's theory about the interrupted song. This seems somehow parallel to Freudian theories of adult issues being vestiges of unresolved stages at age 2. I always get the "If I Only Had a Brain" song from The Wizard of Oz stuck in my head. It's my own personal elevator music. The only thing that works for me is occupational therapy -- getting my brain involved in doing something. I guess this is the metaphorical equivalent of taking the stairs.