Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Face Lift

There was a time when I could turn pulp into paper and scraps into stories.

And I know that self is somewhere buried beneath years of doing what became routine (e.g. working, working out, cooking for dummies-the cookbook not my husband- and escaping to thank-god-its-not-my-reality TV).

So when I saw this at www.designsponge.com...


I knew it was time to shed a few layers and get back to creativity. I'm planning to tackle my refrigerator this weekend somewhere between deadlines for work and play time with Ava. I could use some new magnets to display her drawings (hopefully you have some to hang as well after reading #7 in Clap Your Hands) and we've spent a lot of time picking up leaves lately. She'll be delighted that these are cheek rubbing soft!

The How To:

2 pieces of 9″ x 12″ felt ( Derek & Lauren at Design Sponge used gold and orange)
4 pieces of 5″ x 8″ adhesive magnet sheeting
Small piece of paper or cardboard for creating a template
Scissors

  • Create a template by drawing and cutting out a leaf shape onto your paper or cardboard. You can trace around the template before you cut it, or simply hold it up to the felt and cut carefully around it with scissors.
  • Repeat until you have enough leaves to cover the side of your refrigerator.
  • Remove the backings from your magnet paper and place as many leaves onto each sheet as possible. (Derek & Lauren fit 5 per sheet)
  • Cut around the leaves with scissors.
  • Attach to fridge as decoration or put those magnets to use holding up your to-do list with style.
Splurge heaven:

A couple of months ago a friend needed help, so I helped her. It was nothing life-saving or extraordinary and I know she'd have done the same thing for me if the circumstances were reversed. As a thank you (the words would have more than sufficed) she gave me a gift certificate for a facial.

I cashed it in today.

Oh my gosh.

It was definitely one of those, "why haven't I done this before" experiences. I am convinced that it made my nose smaller. Don't ask me how--but I feel like if pregnancy can make my feet bigger (which it did) then a facial can certainly make my nose smaller.

You must get one if you haven't--or better yet, give one. Your friend will forever thank you.

No comments: