Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Music to My Ears, and Some that Makes Tears



Two local radio stations have been playing Christmas music EXCLUSIVELY since about November 18th. If I do the math (which I don't do very well) that adds up to about eight (or is it nine) days before Thanksgiving.

But you know, I didn't even mind.

I like Christmas music and I'm NOT (I mean NOT) worried about gifts and buying this year, so it didn't feel like a ticking bomb to me. We're not spending as much money but we're spending A LOT of time...together. Doing things that Christ and Christmas music and Advent inspire us to do this time of year. Like lighting balsam and cedar scented candles, baking gingerbread boys and girls til they're a little too crisp around the edges, saying extra prayers and dropping in on lonely neighbors, playing in flour (which, apparently, is way more fun to play in than to bake with) and singing way off key.

The other day I switched things up a bit and turned off the radio. I couldn't listen to Elvis' "Blue Christmas" one more time (I think it was on a 22-song repeat) and worse, that song about the little boy (or is it a little girl) whose mom is dying and he wants to buy her a pair of shoes so she can look pretty if she "meets Jesus tonight..." You know the song, I know you do. My husband gags when it comes on and even though it is a bit hokey (alright, a lot hokey) I cannot help but cry EVERY. TIME. I. HEAR. IT. It's a train-wreck song. You know it's going to hurt to look but you just can't bring yourself to look away.

So anyway, I traded up the radio for Christmas CD's while I worked. This was around 1pm.

At about 3pm, I got out my little writing pad, which I use to write about Ava or what's on my mind. Here's the first line:

"I feel a little melancholy this afternoon; I can't pinpoint the source, but I just do."

As I inked the period on the page, it occurred to me.

"Maybe it has something to do with the fact that James Taylor's Christmas CD has been playing on repeat for the last two hours and I never even once realized it."

I immediately ejected James Taylor, inserted Burl Ives, and presto...JOY.

::

One more thing about the radio. I listen to it because it's convenient and I like the variety. I have always liked music but never loved it. Until I met my husband, that is. He loves music + I love him = I love music. He's always listening to it (never on the radio), singing it, or playing it and I just wanted to let him know (publicly) how much I admire that about him and how grateful I am that he's shared it with me and instilled it, naturally, in our daughter. I rely on him for a lot of things that he probably thinks I take for granted, but I do notice (and grin) on those dreadful treadmill runs when my iPOD has been updated with all kinds of music to my ears.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen,

Like Pete, I LOVE music and listen to it all the time. Maybe it's the two hours a day I spend in my truck, but music makes me smile. Mom just bought me Faith Hill's Christmas CD so I have some "new" music to listen to this Christmas. It's great and my favorite track is #11 "A Baby Change Everything". Unlike Elvis's "Blue Christmas" this song reminds me what Christmas is all about...how it started with a baby. Enjoy all your fun activities with Pete and Ava! Wish I was there with you. Love, Kristin

RunLikeMama said...

Kristin--I've been meaning to get her CD. Maybe I'll do that today...a stocking stuffer that I can enjoy a little early :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! So happy to hear Ava will have a brand new sibling!!!! We are all so happy for you! And a Happy, Healthy Holiday to you all! Love, Rosemary & Joe & Family

RunLikeMama said...

Thanks, Rosemary! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of what you said. I have been restraining my spending and trying to enjoy the rest of it more this year. The only thing I did not cut back on is baking, because I just enjoy it to much. And also, I turn off the radio whenever that shoe song comes on. I just can not take it. I also turn of or change when the little drummer boy comes on, because I also can not take that, but for a whole other reason.

Julie