Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's Happening


Slowly, I am breaking my own rules. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. See, I use the pregnancy excuse (it's really very handy).

I do realize the slippery slope I'm on. Break one rule, two are right behind. It's like eating cookie dough. If I can resist the tiniest temptation to put butter+sugar+flour+vanilla to tongue, I'm saved. If I give in, even just a little bit, I'm doomed. A taste turns into a spoonful turns into sick-on-the-couch-with-no-relief-in-sight.

I'm doomed.

Why, you ask? Because I actually went to the mall to shop in my sweatpants. Today. And I was neither a) coming from a workout; or b) out of my mind.

And they weren't even cute sweatpants. They were six year old navy drawstring sweatpants that I have worn every night from 7p-10p for the past seven hundred and fifty three days (or thereabouts). In fact (if I'm going to spill it I might as well spill it all) they even have a toothpaste stain on the hem of the bottom right leg. I am reminded of this stain every night when little one says, "Mommy, you forgot to wash your pants again."

Which leads me to another rule: I go long long periods of time between washing the sweatpants that I wear to read to my daughter and unwind in at nighttime. The reason is attributed to the fear that these sweatpants-of-all-sweatpants will not be the same if I wash them. I know you know what I mean. Maybe it's not sweats for you, but it's something. You have (or have had) the same fear, haven't you?

But wearing them out IN PUBLIC takes it to a new level (or is it a new low). Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the "have I done enough for everyone for Christmas"anxiety, maybe it was the baby growing in my belly. Whatever the excuse, there really is no excuse.

::

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen,

We have all gone out in our comfy clothes and I have a pair of sweatpants that I, too, feel like I live in. I can't blame it on pregnancy though. I just like to wear them b/c they are comfortable and mine go on as soon as I get home from work and sometimes stay on all weekend if I want them to. I'll have to check for toothpaste stains b/c I don't have a little one to look for me. I do have a TaylorAnn who would be more then happy to give me stains since she touches whatever she wants when her hands are sticky. I have gone to work many times with my oatmeal on my pants b/c she put her hand in my bowl and then on me. Life is too short not to be comfortable though. Just don't go to a holiday party in them and you'll be fine. :-).

Kristin

Anonymous said...

I very nearly died laughing when I read that.

Julie

RunLikeMama said...

Hey Jul--so glad to hear I'm not alone on that. For some reason, i thought you might empathize :) M