Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Boston Qualified

I did it.

I ran my personal best in the Baltimore Marathon yesterday: 3:38:38

My friend Erin and I have been rising at 4:15a most weekdays and every Saturday for the past four months to run in the dark, the heat, the cold, the heat, the wet, the heat--all so that we're back before the kids have been up for too long. We've run hills till our quads screamed and so fast till our lungs ached.

And it was worth every bit of lost sleep, every ounce of ache and pain.

I have much more to say about the race and especially the the last four miles (which really came down to an out-of-body experience.) This wasn't my first marathon, but it was definitely my most...memorable. So I really will get back to write more later this week. And post some pictures too.

But I also want to note that my little brother, who just started running in MAY, ran the marathon too. And I mean ran it. He didn't stop, didn't walk, didn't give up once.

So now I'm going to hobble up from this seat and make my way to the couch. And I'm going to force allow myself to do nothing but sit. For a bit.

3 comments:

Katie said...

GREAT JOB Maureen and Mike!!! Good for both of you!!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO Maureen!!!!!! I am so excited you qualifed for Boston....I hope you are going b/c I am going to be there cheering on a friend of mine. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about the race. My friend said the last several miles were something else too. Guess it's something about the end of the marathon....
Love, Kristin

LobotoME said...

WOOHOOOO! You go girl! xo, jenny