Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Reminder Days

I think it's time for a good old-fashioned brain-drain (though I think I'd prefer a brain-freeze because that would mean lots of mint chocolate chip ice cream, whose call from the freezer I am trying really hard to ignore at the moment).

I have a lot swirling around up there right now; while it might have something to do with the two cups of coffee, extra strong, I drank this afternoon, I think it also has to do with the fact that I am without my monthly planner. I didn't lose it, didn't burn it, didn't throw it away in a fit of revolt. It ran out and I have not replaced it.

I have become, in the last month, the person I vowed I would never become: the one who never writes down appointments and deadlines in one place, but rather writes them on the back of napkins and receipts or on chintzy little day minders I got for free with the purchase of five hallmark cards (which doesn't exactly make them free, I guess) and even on calendars I printed out myself.

So, that's the long winded explanation as to why I feel a little scattered these days (or at least the reason I'm telling myself). Among my scattered-ness:

1. Is it just me, or do Tiger Woods and his Caddy have EXACTLY the same set of teeth? (See quiz on side bar.)
2. Should I or should I not buy this smart spin. I've been agonizing for years.
3. When am I going to bite the bullet and learn to iron. Properly.
4. We must stain our deck. Enough is enough.
5. Do friends and family know how much I love them?
6. What am I going to fix for dinners this week?
7. Need to mail dad's father's day card before next year's father's day. (That's right, still not in the mail)
8. Schedule annual doc appointment
9. Find out when my hair appointment is, exactly

::

That's better.

::

Whenever Father's Day comes around, I can tell you exactly what my dad's response is to my on-cue, "Happy Father's Day, Dad"

Everyday is Father's Day.

And he means it.

But it's one of those inked-in reminder days. A reminder day to tell the men who are fathers to us, like fathers to us, fathers to our children, or like fathers to our children how much we appreciate who they are and the little and big things they do. Because no one can do "it" quite like they can: say nothing when nothing is all you need, say something when saying something is exactly what you need, take it in stride, take it on the chin, take in everything we mothers, wives, daughters, sisters have to give, good and bad, which can add up to quite a lot. And at times, might even contradict.

So thank you to all the men I love...the father to me, the father to my little love, the father to my big love.

::

One Small Step

Prayers in the morning, prayers in the night. Help me to live well and live with delight.

Splurge ahead

We're going on a date, we're going on a date, we're going on a date.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The smart spin containers do not hold up well in the dishwasher, the plastic cracks. I find I like pyrex containers better as glass holds up longer.

As for my splurges lately-I bought three Liz Claiborne purses from the Bon Ton as they were all on sale. So while I can't store food in them, I have one for summer, one for fall and one deep red color purse b/c we should all have a red purse. I also splurged on a new dining room table and chairs from Olum's here in Vestal. It came with a few days and three men later the very heavy box was in my living room waiting to be up together. It's beautiful and will last a lifetime I hope. It was my treat to myself for teaching all semester and going without sleep from working two very busy jobs. Kristin

LobotoME said...

Hi Maureen!

Have you guys gone out for SUSHI yet?!!!?

did you run out of your momME planner?

xo, J :)

RunLikeMama said...

Kristin--congratulations on the end of a busy semester; though the next one is right around the corner.

Jenny--my momME planner has been my saving grace! But I need a monthly appointment calendar as my "birds eye" view--and then my weekly planner as my up close and personal view.

I'm thinking about a monthly "journal planner" to accompany the journal product I hope to get off the ground soon...hopefully more to share on that soon!

Anonymous said...

I am also not a fan of the smart spin- curently obsessed with the dispoeables with the lids that snap together- easy to store, low investment

If it helps at all I will answer one of your questions- knowing that I have your devoted friendship (even though we connect rarely) is one the the things for which I am most greatful and which brings me great peace

J